*This post has been in the 'draft mode' for over a month and I have neglected to post it. I still use this detergent and love it. It's tried and true.
There are TONS and TONS and TONS of detergent recipes floating around Pinterest and I'm sure they are great. I have a friend in Arkansas who made me the following recipe a few years ago and I loved it then and still love it now. So...I'm sharing it...mainly because I want to have a record of it for the future.
This recipe is GREAT for people with sensitive skin. Uhh...that would be me and pretty much my whole family.
- 3 Pints water
- 1/3 bar Fels Naptha Laundry Bar Soap, grated (I used a cheese grater. Walmart now carries this soap on the 'laundry detergent aisle'.)
- 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
- 2-one gallon containers (milk jug, liquid laundry soap container, juice container, etc.)
- hot water
- Mix grated soap in a large saucepan or pot with 3 pints of hot water and heat on the stove over LOW heat until dissolved. Don't get it too hot because it won't mix well later. Do not allow to boil.
- Stir in the Super Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until the mixture thickens and remove from heat.
- Pour half of the mixture into one of the gallon containers and the other half of the mixture in the other.
- Fill the remaining half with hot water and leave some extra room at the top for shaking.
- Use 1/2 a cup per load.
*shake detergent before using
*mixture will be a little bit lumpy
*spot treat clothing before washing